Saturday, January 9, 2010

Writing Course Revisited

As we begin day three of our adventure into 2010, I am all too aware of how quickly 2009 flew by, making my vow to make the most of every opportunity that comes my way a bit more urgent in my eyes. A couple of years ago, I signed up for a writing course and did not complete it. I had long since forgotten about the class, but they apparently had not forgotten me. I received an e-mail from them this morning stating that I can resume my class provided I pay a $39 activation fee. I hear the chuckles and the scoffs, but in all fairness, I would have to pay a new admission fee were I to enroll back at any other college I left and pay for the course all over again. Since the activation fee is nominal when compared to the current cost of the class, I am sending in my money and will resume where I left off. Knowing I will receive college credits for this class, it is a no brainer to me, just money and time well spent.

It seems strange that I am receiving some interesting and welcome choices to pursue my writing now that I have made the commitment to make it happen this year. I like to think it is a synchronization of the universe and that my time for writing has arrived. In reality, I may have simply overlooked the opportunities that came my way thinking there was no way to utilize the opportunity to segue it into a meaningful pursuit. Confidence comes from being comfortable in your own skin and that confidence means taking a professional risk that is more than just a calculated risk; it is an opportunity that needs to be taken, no matter the outcome. It was once said that luck is when preparation meets opportunity. Maybe luck is really just a matter of preparation meets a well timed opportunity. As I said, I could have finished this course a long time ago and because life happens, the opportunity has presented itself at a more fitting juncture in my life.

As you endeavor to achieve your own personal goal, keep in mind that change is uncomfortable, which is why so many people stay where they are. They are in their comfort zone and know the parameters and the expectations that come along with doing what they know. I am farther outside my comfort zone than you might think. I enjoy writing and using my imagination for stories and contests, but being a faceless entry in a writing competition is less intimidating than opening up in a blog. In order to expand my horizons and therefore my options and opportunities, I find it necessary to take my skills to another level and put myself out there, literally. Big risks can bring big failure, but they can also bring much success and take your life on a path you might otherwise not have taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment