Thursday, January 7, 2010

Resolutions...why bother?

As the new year approaches, we all begin our quest to find the perfect resolution: to lose weight, to exercise more, to spend more time with the kids....um, I can't think of anyone who wants to spend more time at work, but maybe it's me. I've decided, as my Facebook friends all know, that I wouldn't use the word resolution, which in and of itself seems destined for failure, but to use the word “goal” to make it more palatable and less likely to fail. To that end, I've begun this blog. As an aspiring writer, I am always dreaming of “becoming” a writer, and even though I've sat down at the computer and worked diligently (okay...sometimes) on my scripts, I feel like a child with attention deficit trying to accomplish so much, that nothing gets finished, submitted and ultimately purchased. I did receive an Honorable Mention from Writers Digest in October, yeah me! Not exactly a by-line or published article, but in my little world and for my little ego, I'll take it. The biggest goal I have for this year is to be awarded my Bachelors Degree in English from Charter Oak State College. I wanted to optimize my time with my family and the unwanted commute to school is the perfect place to start. I enjoyed my classes on-campus, but at this point, I want my degree and I'll take the road less traveled in order to achieve it.


Resolutions are a great way to begin a new year, but unless we are willing to take actions to achieve the end result, it can be a lesson in futility. Perhaps the real aim is to make a personal, clean start in the new year and renew our commitment to something important to us, and not just our family, friends or co-workers. Resolutions are typically “me” oriented and maybe our yearning for self-importance is more important than we'd care to admit. Day to day life tends to usurp our attention, not to mention our energy, and our ability to define “me” time as anything but selfish, though it truly is a vital part of our ability to cope. Most resolutions are motivated for positive, self-affirming choices: quitting the nicotine habit, caffeine, soda...whatever it is we see as a challenge to be conquered. Resolutions are difficult to maintain because they require sacrifice on our part and continued sacrifice during an extended period of time. We are always amazed and proud of those who are able to commit to a dream and make it work, at least I am. And if I'm being honest, I'm sometimes a bit envious of that dedication. Few people are able to sustain the dedication to the task of changing something they have clung to for whatever reason. For myself, it was the realization that once the bachelors degree is in hand, I actually have to decide what I want to be now that I'm grown up...teacher, lawyer, writer? It is a big choice and I understand the “kid in a candy store” cliché because when you have the world at your fingertips, it is an overwhelming, awe inspiring place to be. I encourage anyone out there to commit to a change, any positive change for even as little as a day, knowing that each time we try, we are one step closer to making it work. If I had thought that my bachelors degree would have taken me this long, I might not have started, but now that I'm this close, it was well worth it!


I don't know what 2010 is going to bring, but I know that I will try to finish what I've started for a change, both academically and professionally. I expect to bring home my bachelors degree this summer and to finish at least one more script by year end. Are these goals achievable? Absolutely! Will I manage to complete them? That's my goal and I hope you come along for the ride and share my ups and downs. We can offer each other encouragement and the knowledge that when you're in it together, anything is possible. So, why bother with resolutions? That's easy, because we all have the chance at making it right, so why not take that leap of faith and reach for the stars. Til tomorrow....

1 comment: