Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Obstacles

For anyone who has started the year trying to pursue their goal, you know there are many obstacles in the way to reaching it; sometimes the biggest obstacle is looking at us in the mirror. I could have, and in all honesty should have, completed my degree a year or two ago, but life happens. The fork in the road appeared and I took the scenic route along the way. If I hadn't decided to take my scriptwriting class, I wouldn't have seen a whole new avenue for my writing. I graduated in 2008 with my Associates in General Studies and in doing that, I could finally allow myself to take a breath. This short break from a four year degree gave me time to refocus on my personal interests and find a way to integrate them back into my life. My biggest obstacle was me and my erroneous belief that it was all or nothing in my relentless pursuit of my goal. Let's face it, the obstacles are there for a reason. Achieving something important is rewarding and fulfilling, but if we don't take the time to appreciate the efforts we put in to get there, we miss the point of the trip. If you encounter an obstacle, don't be afraid to ask for an opinion, taken lightly salted, or to ask for help. You'd be surprised how many people really want you to succeed because if you can do it, then maybe they can too. Share the trip with those that matter, the ups and downs and all around, but mostly enjoy the fact you are moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment