Friday, January 8, 2010

The Fortune Cookie With Attitude

After our Chinese dinner, my son Matthew handed me my fortune cookie. Alas, this fortune cookie wasn't chocolate covered like the ones they used to sell at the “The Square” as our local mall used to be called, but enough about fond memories. My fortune is a timely one considering my “goal” to write more and to earn my degree this year; it read: “It's not the will to win, but the will to prepare to win that makes a difference.” Simple, but it says it.

As any coach will tell you, it's all in the preparation. If you don't train hard, work hard, and play hard then you aren't putting 110% into your efforts. For me, I was only putting in marginal effort on my writing when I chose to sit down and grace the computer and my story with my presence. I was hardly exhibiting the will to prepare myself to win; I was floating along hoping the story would write itself. A couple of years ago, I came across a scriptwriting competition that I wanted to enter but even my imagination was stymied because I didn't have a clue how to write one. Since I'm not one of those prolifically talented people who can sit down and whip out a script without knowing the basics, I enrolled in a scriptwriting class at my local community college. By the end of the semester, I had a solid outline on my script and turned it into a 120 page Civil War drama. I entered the contest a year after I originally saw it, confident that I had done my best. Though I didn't place in that competition, it was a valuable learning experience that continues to motivate me on my road to success.

While my son was driving us to a graduation party this past summer, I was bouncing story ideas off him. We came up with some great ideas along I-84 so I searched for a paper and pen, lest I forget them. Imagine my horror when I realized I had no pen to write with and the only paper I could find was a church bulletin in my pocketbook. I did, however, have eyeliner. As they say, where there's a will, there's a way, but you can bet I don't leave home without checking to make sure I have a pen and notepad with me. The biggest difference in my life now from this time last year is my willingness to prepare to win. Without laying the foundations of success by taking it one step, or one blog at a time, my will to win means nothing. Have you taken one step today?

No comments:

Post a Comment