Monday, January 25, 2010

Focus

Well, I've gotten one week under my belt. I had a mini-meltdown Sunday night as I allowed myself to get caught up in what I had to do and failed to focus on what I had already done. I had done the research on the grant foundation and the basics of the paper, but I kept focusing on what I still had to do. Of course it probably had a lot to do with my frustration at missing the NFC Championship game, but my bad for not doing it earlier in the day. Frustration is easy to give in to when you would really rather be doing something other than schoolwork on a Sunday night. Note to self-finish all schoolwork by late afternoon on February 7th so I don't miss the Super Bowl. After I dried my tears and swallowed my pride, I shared this with a friend of mine and her advice was to take a breath and focus on what was left to do that night, nothing more. I lamented the fact I still had to take a true/false quiz in Mark Twain, submit the grant paper, and that I was taking enough breaths to hyperventilate! Her response: find a paper bag to breathe into and if there was a bottle of wine in it, well, so be it! So, I toughed it out. I finished the paper, took the quiz and found out I was freaked out over nothing. It was a simple quiz to make sure we "get" what we read during the first week, nothing more, nothing less. Keep plugging along and don't be afraid to share your concerns with a friend because you're not alone in your journey unless you want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment