Monday, January 18, 2010

The Journey: Preparing To Win

The first day of my new school and a complete semester of on-line classes awaits me on Tuesday like Damocles sword dangling over my head! I am eager to finish my degree and these classes will take me halfway to that goal. My apprehension lies in the discipline, or my sometimes lack thereof, that accompanies on-line classes. I have done well at them in the past, yet four on-line classes is a daunting feat to say the least. I need to prepare myself, like any focused individual should, to succeed on my journey toward the endgame.

Mark Twain and I are going to become well acquainted over the next sixteen weeks and I hope we shall remain friends after the end of the term. I fear my fondness for A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court will be sorely tested this spring and my concern for Huck Finn will dwindle to nothing. I am tempted to visit the Mark Twain House in Hartford to satisfy my curiosity about the man and to reassure myself that he is worthy of the volumes of reading I now find myself bound to. Hmm...I ended the sentence with a preposition, what would Sister Kirsten think? But, I digress. I have an admitted insatiable appetite for reading and knew perfectly well what I was getting myself into, yet the reality of it is here and all too challenging. I need to sit down and prepare a schedule that will help me enjoy the journey through this semester because if I am not enjoying school, then what is the point?

I must prepare myself to win, like any battle tested warrior and that preparation begins today with my first peek at the classes themselves. I need to buy books, notebooks and calculators because, alas, I need to take Statistics and those who know me, know how joyful a class I won't find this. By allocating time during the week and utilizing my lunch hour, I will maximize my time to complete assignments and to even buy myself some time to read for pleasure, a guilty pleasure at best, but we all need a reward during the battle to ensure our continued dedication to the task at hand. As you continue on your journey in life and pursue that which makes you happy, I leave you with a quote from the famous and wonderful Mark Twain: “Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.” Enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment